Tabs

Sunday 12 May 2013

Make! Pulled Pork

Today we had my sister, brother-in-law and kids over for Sunday dinner, so we picked up a shoulder of pork from the supermarket and made pulled pork. This was the first time I'd made this at home but it is so easy and a delicious way to eat a very cheap cut of meat. Points for economy and taste: ding ding!

I preheated the oven to 200 degrees and made my own barbecue marinade to baste the joint in. I'm a 'throw it in' cook so quantities are guessed roughly. If you make this, just make it to your taste!

BBQ marinade for pulled pork:
2 tbsp tomato ketchup
2tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tbsp caster sugar
1 tbsp garlic oil
2 tsp smoked paprika
dash worcestershire sauce
sprinkling of oregano

I basted the shoulder of pork with the marinade and put it in the oven at 200 degrees. After 1 hour I turned the oven down to 170 and left it to cook for at least 3 more hours.

The joint came out looking like this, and after 20 minutes left to rest, it was tender and easy to shred apart with 2 forks.
I served the pulled pork with a big green salad, a waldorf salad, fresh white bread and my spicy BBQ sauce.
BBQ sauce is very easy to make with ingredients from your cupboards. Just make it to your taste. I used:
tomato ketchup
malt vinegar
honey
dark soy sauce
worcestershire sauce
smoked paprika
oregano
tabasco sauce

I will make this meal again as it's cheap, easy, and so tasty! Do you have any tips for cooking cheap cuts of meat?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments, so please do share your thoughts! x